Wednesday, September 9, 2009

The Impossible Just Takes a Little Longer

While we pursue the unattainable, we make the impossible realizable”, Robert Ardrey

Sunday I turned 60. My son came to town for a visit and all the important people in my life called to offer their best wishes. As birthdays go, it was a very good day. At the end of the day, I sat down and reflected on my post college life of 37 years.

I have met and worked with a number of very intelligent and insightful individuals. These people helped to shape my views on business and life. Something that my very first boss said to me still resonates today. Bill McCrae was fond of saying, “The impossible just takes a little longer.”

That very short sentence has followed me since. It reminds me that there are no limits. Limits are strictly self- imposed. Think about this - in the early 50’s we were one of the first families in the neighborhood to have a TV. Now, we can get TV on our cell phone.

As I matriculate through life, I am constantly stimulated by the challenge of achieving the unachievable. My parents were always telling me that I could achieve any goal if I would just put my mind to the task. My competition was not someone else, just me.

John Maxwell refers to this concept as “Possibility Thinking”. In the book How Successful People Think, Maxwell offers several reasons why people should think beyond their limits. He believes, as do I, that people who embrace possibility thinking are capable of achieving the impossible.

· Possibility Thinking Increases Your Possibilities: If you believe that something can not be done, then it won’t be done. If, on the other hand, you open your mind to the possibility of accomplishment, you allow yourself the opportunity for success.

· Possibility Thinking Draws Opportunities and People to You: We are all drawn to people that offer a hope and a plan for achieving a desired result.

· Possibility Thinking Increases Others’ Possibilities: Thinking and creating are contagious activities. Being around people that are positive and full of energy gives you the impetus to do the same.

· Possibility Thinking Allows You to Dream Big Dream: The impossible dream is usually a big dream, but today’s impossible dream is usually tomorrow’s big event.

· Possibility Thinking Keeps You from Giving Up: If you are a possibility thinker, you believe you will achieve your goal. Believing in yourself and believing in your objective is half the battle. If you think that you cannot achieve your goal, you won’t achieve it because you will never start.

Over the last 60 years, I have learned that “can’t” is indeed a four letter word subject to having your mouth washed with soap (and no, that isn’t child abuse—its parenting). “Can” however is a three letter word meaning ‘achievable’. Benjamin Disraeli once said “The secret to success is constancy to purpose.” As we pursue the unattainable, the attainable becomes possible. Attainment becomes possible when we think beyond our limits, and apply constancy and dedication to the task. All it takes is time.

Happy Birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment