Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Changes start in the head



I recently took some time off. I needed to clear my head. I needed to refocus. I needed to re-energize. So I packed my bags and spent a week at the College World Series in Omaha. What a wonderful experience!



"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself,."
Tolstoy.



The early summer days in Omaha are long. The ballpark is filled with sunshine, raw energy and college kids - tomorrow's leaders. Wow. No wonder my parents were scared when I was that age. College students are delightfully detached from the universe. A combination of raging energy and delightful innocence. The perfect atmosphere to recharge one's batteries.

As I sat through a two and a-half hour rain delay, I made a number of observations:



How soothing is a gentle rain? I observed a man sitting at a picnic table, sound asleep, with the rain softly tapping on him.


Are you looking for a career for your child? Consider podiatry. Every woman and virtually every young man wore "flip-flops". Fallen arches and flat feet is sure to be a growth industry.



Are people really so different? Not when there is a common cause. People from all over the countrywearing every imaginable team shirt, visited as if long lost friends.

Why do people wearing "flip-flops" avoid stepping in pools of water? I'm still searching for the answer.

And now, the rest of the story: We all need to recharge periodically. Whether we are building a new business from the ground up or simply maintaining an existing business, we need to be motivated. We need to be positive. We need to be energetic. We are the leaders. The organization gathers its energy and direction from us. We are guided by our head.
-- Steve Cook

No comments:

Post a Comment