Monday, October 12, 2009

YES DOROTHY – THERE ARE STILL GOOD SAMARITAINS

A couple of weeks ago, I was in the process of losing my mind. It had been an absolutely horrible week. If it could go wrong, it did go wrong. The apex of the week occurred at my favorite Valero station.

With the red gas light screaming at me, I pulled in for gas. My head was pounding from the weeks activities. I pulled my credit card out, swiped it, and filled up my tank. When the pump “bonged”, I put the gas cap on and drove off. Guess what? My wallet and all its contents were still on the trunk of my car!

The next day, I was driving to Austin for a meeting. I was in dire need of coffee. I pulled into Starbucks, reached for my wallet and found nothing but air. I had absolutely no idea where my wallet was. I racked my ibuprofen- and caffeine-stimulated brain, but to no avail.

I had just sat down at the meeting when the office texted me that someone had found my wallet! In what has to qualify as a miracle these days, he had found it and called to return it – intact!

Yes Dorothy, there are still good Samaritans out there. Thanks again, Mr. Ray Soto!

--Steve Cook is managing shareholder at Cook and Associates, PLLC; a CPA firm with offices located in San Antonio and San Marcos.

No comments:

Post a Comment